Episode 006 of Next Without For, SNOBOL, is posted!
Direct Link to MP3:
- SNOBOL reference site - https://www.snobol4.org/
- Online SNOBOL4 compiler in a browser - https://tio.run/#snobol4
- Generational list of programming languages (Wikipedia)
- Macro SNOBOL4 in C
- http://www.snobol4.com/ - commercial implementation of SNOBOL called SPITBOL from Catspaw
- SNOBOL4+ was Catspaw's flagship product - Free 16-bit SNOBOL4+ for MS-DOS.
- Catspaw's more limited but free Vanilla SNOBOL4
- Vanilla SNOBOL4 comes with excellent documentation.
- Minnesota SNOBOL4 (http://www.berstis.com/snobol4.htm )
- SPITBOL 360 is an implementation of the SNOBOL4 programming language for use on IBM 360 compatible computers.
- SNOBOL at Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNOBOL
- Dave Farber at LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/davefarber/ , email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- History of Programming Languages. A History of the SNOBOL Programming Languages , 1978 - http://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a404/c09b14e2b03496604387f532fd33975179ec.pdf
- The “Green Book”, “The SNOBOL4 Programming Language”, second edition, by Griswold, Poage and Polonsky. https://ftp.snobol4.org/misc/ftp.cs.arizona.edu/gb.pdf
- SNOBOL4 T-shirt - http://www.snobol4.com/tshirt.htm Get It Before It Gets You!
- SNOBOL mailing list at groups.io - https://groups.io/g/snobol
- Dr. Dobbs - Programs That Transform Their Own Source Code; or: the Snobol Foot Joke - https://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/programs-that-transform-their-own-source/228701469
- SNOBOL - You grab your foot with your hand, then rewrite your hand to be a bullet. The act of shooting the original foot then changes your hand/bullet into yet another foot (a left foot).
- When searching for SNOBOL on Amazon, a couple of weird references come up:
- Don't Panic! I'm A Professional SNOBOL Programmer: Customized Lined Notebook Journal Gift For A Qualified SNOBOL Developer Paperback - Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Panic-Professional-SNOBOL-Programmer/dp/B09DMTT21L A funny customized lined notebook journal for a hard working SNOBOL Programmer . Give this keepsake book to a colleague, friend or family member, instead of a throw away greeting card to show how much they are appreciated.
SNOBOL Programming: Lined Notebook Journal, Awesome Gift for Programmers, Software Developers, and IT Professionals - Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/SNOBOL-Programming-Programmers-Developers-Professionals/dp/B09CC67LDW
Seems like how FORTRAN was very influenced by the limitations of the hardware of its time. FORTRAN eventually evolved to have more modern features, but it took perhaps longer than it should have to stay relevant. There were many “modern” programming concepts done early on, but it was the limitations of hardware that kept them from being commonplace until later.ReplyDelete